Sunday, July 17, 2011

One Wild Week

Well, it's been a little over a week since I've last blogged so I thought it was about time. Last Sunday, a group of us went to a place where they had some hot springs. They had 20 different pools with temperatures between 90 and 150 degrees. There were 3 water slides that emptied into a pool. They looked like normal water slides, but were hands down the fastest slides I'd ever been on. One went straight down. Once I hit the water, I skidded about 15 feet before coming to a stop. Our tour guide took us on a little safari tour through the jungle. We drove and saw a few birds, but nothing more. This concluded our weekend and it was back to school on Monday.

Monday I was informed that everyone was going bungee jumping on Wednesday. I had to decide if I wanted to go or not. If I didn't go, I knew it would be something that I would regret, so I went. We were driven to the bridge on Wednesday. We began to walk onto the bridge and immediately looked down. About 300 feet below was a river that, from this height didn't look like much, but was probably pretty large. I was the 4th person in our group to jump. They strapped me in, and told me to get onto the platform and put my toes over the edge. Everyone counted down from 5, and I jumped as far as I could. The 3-5 second free fall was probably the most exhilarating thing I've ever done. I bounced about halfway back up, and dropped again. A crane pulled me back up, and it felt amazing to be back on land.

Thursday after class, we headed for Manuel Antonio. My friend Phillip told me that Manuel Antonio had recently but rated as one of the top 10 beaches in the world. Expectations were high. We arrived in Manuel when it was getting dark on Thursday. We were a little confused about where our apartments were, so we just started walking. We past a hotel and met an American woman that walked with us for about 10 minutes to show us where our rooms were. We got settled in, went out for dinner, and called it a night. The next morning was time to hit the beach. Upon arrival, we were a little disappointed. The beach was pretty rocky. Only a small strip of it had grayish sand. We got in the water, the waves were massive, probably 7-10 feet all weekend. Friday we spent all day on the beach, body surfing, boogie boarding, throwing a football/frisbee, and hanging out. Saturday morning, Phillip, Justin, Mason and I went on a little fishing trip. Our taxi driver pulled up to the shore, where a little pink boat was waiting on us. We got in, wondering what we had gotten ourselves into. We were about a mile off the coast the whole time. We got completely soaked on the ride to our fishing spot. The water was fairly warm but the air was freezing. The first hour and a half were pretty boring. No fish, just sitting and waiting. Justin and Phillip got motion sickness. The waves were probably 10-12 feet tall. We were constantly bouncing up and down. Phillip caught the first fish, a jack, a pretty good sized fish. I had a monster on my line that I reeled in for about 3 minutes. When he got about 15 feet from our boat, he got off. I was so mad. I didn't see him but I knew he was huge. Everyone got their turn catching fish, Mason, Justin and I all caught needle fish. They were about 2 feet long and extremely skinny. Not long after, it was time to go. Our boat passed the beach where we were supposed to meet our friends, so we asked if our guides would drop us off at the beach. Our driver said the closest they could get was about 40 meters. We said we'd give it a shot. He pulled in as close as he could. We turned around and it looked like a wave was about to swallow our boat. Somehow, it didn't. The guide told us to get out as quickly as possible. I had a bag of things that we had to keep dry. We jumped out, me holding the bag above the water, and started swimming as fast as possible. Luckily, no waves broke on top of us, and we made it to the beach safely. The rest of the day consisted of enjoying the beach. We went out to dinner, and then a few of us called it a night. I went to sleep around 9:30, and woke up around 8:30 this morning. It felt glorious. Today we came back to San Pedro. It feels good to be home.

Only two more weeks of school. It is crazy that we are halfway done with classes here. Two weeks from today I will be flying back to Atlanta to meet up with Brittany. I am really excited to be back, but I'm enjoying every minute of being here.

No comments:

Post a Comment